Font Size:

In This Page

Two men looking at an accident

Driveable Accidents and Accidents Not Involving Personal Injury

Move out of the Flow of Traffic - If you are not involved in a traffic accident and you determine that there are NO personal injuries and the vehicles are driveable, please get the vehicles out of the flow of traffic. You do not want another accident involving other passing motorists.

Call the Sheriff's Department / Police Department - This depends upon your location. If you do not know who to call, call the Sheriff's Department ( 815-727-8575 ) and they will assist you.

Exchange Information - Once you get your vehicles out of the flow of traffic, exchange information with the other drivers involved. The information should include the name of the driver, address, city, state, phone number, type of vehicle ( year, make and model ), license plate number, V.I.N. number, driver's license number, insurance company and policy number.

Get Names and Addresses - Get the names and addresses of any other passengers in the other vehicles. Also get the names of any persons who may have witnessed the accident. One of the most important pieces of information which is needed for your traffic accident report is the location of the accident. Write it down.

Reporting the Accident - Once law enforcement arrives, we will take your traffic accident report. You will be given a case number. You will also be given a SR1 accident form from the Secretary of State. You are required to fill this form out and mail it to the Secretary of State's Office if there is more than $1,500.00 worth of damages on the vehicles. Mail it to the Secretary of State within the next 10 days. Don't forget to make yourself a photo-copy of the form before you send it.

Don't wait to make your report - Call right away. Even if a report cannot be taken at that time, it is important to notify the proper authorities. When you get home, call your insurance agent and give them the case number and any other information you have concerning the accident.

Non-Driveable Accidents or Personal Injury Accidents

Call 9-1-1 Immediately! - If you are involved in a traffic accident that is not driveable or there is personal injury, call or have someone else call 9-1-1 immediately. Be sure to give the dispatcher the location of the accident. The Police will be sent out to investigate your accident. If there are injuries, make sure you tell the dispatcher the nature of the injuries and the Ambulance/Fire Department will be notified. Help will be sent.

If You're a Victim of a Hit and Run Accident

Don't chase a Hit and Run Driver! - If you are involved in a traffic accident and the other party involved drives off before you get the driver's name and information, do not pursue the other driver. You do not want to get into a high speed chase and into another accident.

Call 9-1-1 Immediately - Call 9-1-1 immediately and tell the dispatcher that the other driver left the scene. Give the best description possible of the driver, the type of vehicle and license plate number, and the direction the hit and run was traveling. A flash message will be given to the Police in the area over the radio telling them of the wanted driver in your Hit and Run Accident. An officer will be sent to the scene to handle your accident report.

Acquire a Crash Report Online

Please visit BuyCrash to obtain your crash report.