Correctional Officer Lateral
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER LATERAL EMPLOYMENT
***NOW ACCEPTING CORRECTIONAL OFFICER LATERAL APPLICATIONS***
(ILLINOIS CORRECTIONS CERTIFIED ONLY)
STARTING SALARY: $52,908.08 WITH BENEFITS AND UNIFORMS
All applications must have the $25.00 processing fee (check or money order only) AND an Illinois Corrections Academy certificate attached and mailed or dropped off between 8am-3pm Monday – Friday to the Merit Commission office, address located on the application.
All applicants will be notified by email after their application has been reviewed and accepted.
For any questions please contact:
Will County Sheriff’s Merit Commission
16911 W. Laraway Road – Suite 201
Joliet, IL 60433
Building Hours: M-F 8AM-3PM
- U.S. Citizen
- 21 years of age
- Valid driver’s license
- Not have any felony or certain misdemeanor convictions from any jurisdiction
- Must be a resident of Will County within two (2) years after appointment
- Must have completed an Illinois Corrections Academy (no other states qualify)
THE TESTING PROCESS:
Complete a 32-page long application after submitting the short application.
An interview with the administrative staff. Once selected after this interview, you must pass the following to be eligible for employment:
- Fingerprint appointment – you will be given a date and time to come to our office to be fingerprinted, photographed. At this appointment you will be required to bring in the following: driver’s license, social security card, foid card, and birth certificate.
- Personality evaluation
- Polygraph exam
- In-depth background investigation
- Full medical exam including drug screen after offer of employment
POST EMPLOYMENT INFORMATION ON TRAINING:
Once the applicant is hired as a Will County Correctional Officer, he/she will receive the following training:
- 10 weeks of in-house on the job training
- Forty hours of annual in-service training
- After the initial training phase, the C.O. will choose his/her assignment by rank seniority
*Passing all steps in this testing process does not guarantee a job offer.